It's the Environment, Stupid.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Global Warming: A Misnomer

I usually forget to look at the weather report before I leave my apartment, so it's always a surprise when I get out to my front stoop and realize I'm wearing the wrong jacket. If I had flipped on the computer this morning, it would have warned me that the highs are supposed to be in the low 60's, possibly hitting 70 this weekend.

But surely this warmness can't be global warming, because according to the weather expert cited in a NY Times article today, "Global warming is a misnomer." The message in the article was just because it is warm in NY, doesn't mean it's warm EVERYWHERE, so therefore it isn't global warming.

Okay. Whatever. The fact is this is one of the warmest winters on record (at least in NYC) and for the past six months Al Gore has been beating this whole global warming thing into our heads, it's inevitable that people are going to jump to conclusions.

But hey, if you're not down with the whole global warming thing, it looks like El Nino is back. So next time you pass one of those poor, confused, sprouting flowers or blossoming trees (or if you happen to pass a polar bear chilling on a melting ice shelf) just reassure them, it's not global warming, it's El Nino.

2 Comments:

  • Wait, so you think it's global warming or El Nino?

    By Blogger The Worsted Witch, at 16:05  

  • Oh I'm very much on the global warming band wagon - I just find it funny (and perhaps a little scary) that all the skeptics will probably latch onto the El Nino counterspin...

    By Blogger Amy Marpman, at 16:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home