It's the Environment, Stupid.

Monday, November 13, 2006

PVC gets animated

Want to know how to spot the PVC around you? Watch this clever awareness video put out by the The Center for Health and Environmenetal Justice - Sam Suds and the Case of PVC, Poison Plastic.

Sam Suds is a noir-like private dick - er, bar of soap - who works out of the bathroom of the Johnson family. He has already cleaned their home of lead and DDT - his latest criminal is PVC. After being tipped off by a damsel in distress - a rubber duck in a pink hat - Sam Suds gets down to business. The message of the video: PVC is the poison plastic, also known as vinyl. You can spot it by the 3 or the v.

I'm embarrassed to say, this is something I actually didn't know prior to watching. Of course I knew that PVC was bad, and that it's probably in everything around me, but I didn't know it was actually labelled as such. I knew that those numbers in the recycle symbol on plastic bottles stood for something, 1, 2, 3 - but I didn't know the 3 meant PVC. I took a look around my own bathroom after watching the video and realized Sam was right - proof that PVCs are all around me.

Watch the video here. And then take action - ask Target to go PVC free. Then take a look around your home for the PVC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home