It's the Environment, Stupid.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

The AC Dilemma part 2

Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions regarding the recent AC dilemma, which really boils down to a matter of conscience vs. convenience on an individual level. My roommate and I ended up opting for convenience - as did at least 5 other households in my neighborhood (we passed several empty AC boxes on our walk to purchase ours at a nearby big-box home improvement store, not to mention several already installed AC units that were running high on a not-all-that-hot day.)

Our cooling machine is mid-range on the energy star rating (although it is a higher energy star rating than a similar, yet slightly cheaper model). And while it could probably stand to be a little more secure in the window frame, it's in, and we've yet to turn on. So until it gets really hot again it will sit in our living room window, silently nagging my conscience, "do I really need the AC? really?"

3 Comments:

  • dam shame I saw this thread a little too late, I recently did a post on saving electricity, which ultimately ened in a discussion on reverse cycle aircons...

    it can be such a grueling task!

    v.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 04:57  

  • You need the AC. Don't ever doubt it. Your brain will only work well if you are at the right temperature. If your brain is healthy, free, and has some education in it, then we all need it desperately working away, solving our problems. Shutting off your brain to save some electricity is crazy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 16:32  

  • Ok, I have to comment on that last bit. My husband was raised in Puerto Rico where a "cold" day is 75 degrees F. He went to a university without AC. When he took me there a few years back, I marveled at how people could engage in higher learning when it's that hot. He graduated with honors and is one of the most intelligent people I know--who never had an AC option. I'm just saying...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 06:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home