It's the Environment, Stupid.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Maryland passes legislation to clean-up power plants

I guess I'm not as up on this whole global warming thing as I think I am - I just found this from It's Getting Hot in Here:

"In a major victory against global warming, the Maryland General Assembly gave final approval Friday to the strongest power-plant clean-up bill ever passed by a legislative body in America. The bill passed by a landslide with a bi-partisan vote of 107-27, reported the Annapolis Capitol.In addition to dramatically reducing nitrogen, sulfur and mercury pollution, the Maryland Healthy Air Act requires that the state join the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI), a consortium of eastern states committed to mandatory CO2 reductions from power plants. The vote is particularly significant because it marks the first legislative mandate to join RGGI, setting the stage for Massachusetts and Rhode Island, as well as other states, to move towards joining this historic pact."

I'd say that's great news! Who's next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home