It's the Environment, Stupid.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

What can you do? Send a letter to congress

On Monday, I blogged about early spring and climate change and an anonymous commenter responded to my request for people to think twice before complaining about the weather, "But I wonder what I can actually do beyond thinking twice?"

I suggested they check out Calvin Jones' Climate Change Action.

Here's another suggestion - write to congress.

But I don't have time to write to congress, you say? No excuses.

Environmental Action does the work for you - their latest letter involves sending your support for The Energy of Our Future Act (HR4384). Two minutes and you've done your part.

David Suzuki's website also lists some things you can do.

I would also suggest writing a letter to the editor of your local paper or blogging about climate change on sites that don't normally talk about it. Help continue a wider dialogue on the topic. Ross Gelbspan's book, The Boiling Point talks about how the media has largely ignored or downplayed global warming issues, in part due to heavy influence/spin from oil companies. At the moment, climate change/global warming seems to slowly (every so slowly) be merging into mainstream outlets, but it will really require a shift of thinking in the collective consciousness in order for any action to truly make a difference, which is why I suggested thinking twice before complaining about the weather.

It is sunny outside this morning and I'm going to take a stroll through the park - but first I'm going to send off a letter to congress.

1 Comments:

  • do u know who in congress i'm supose to send it to
    can u give me the adress and name?

    send it to michelle_horsefan@html.com
    pls and thankyou

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 14:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home