It's the Environment, Stupid.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Going local

So as I’m writing up my blog on an article I found on PCB levels around the Duamish river in Seattle, a little IM window pops up from a friend of mine (also in Seattle).

Shawn: so I got my darkroom up and running
Me: great
Shawn: my apartment smells like bleach
Me: That sounds healthy
Shawn: I’ve got the windows open
Me: that’s good
Shawn: got to check my e-bay bid now
Me: I’m writing my blog
Shawn: about?
Me: PCBs in the Duamish
Shawn: but you live in ny
Me: what? too much Seattle?
Shawn: it kinda sounds like you live there if you just skim through

So I abandoned the blog about how some new tests around the Duamish have found PCB levels over 900 times the level considered toxic (this area is already a Superfund clean up site) and went to find something local to blog about.

I figured I couldn’t get much closer than Mark Caserta’s 3r Living – on 5th ave in Park Slope. Although, I am embarrassed to say that I have yet to visit the store (probably only a 15-20 min walk from where I live – no excuse really). Not only do they sell “the worlds highest quality eco-friendly, organic products and gifts” both from their store and online, they also collect batteries, cell phones, ink cartridges, CDs and CD cases.

Even cooler is Caserta’s blog (he talks about things local) and has recently added Ben Jervey, author of the new book, The Big Green Apple, as a blog contributor.

I think I’ll stop by this weekend and turn in my old cell phone… and see what other local stuff I can find along the way.

1 Comments:

  • Nice to see another NY green blogger!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 13:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home